Round 10 WAFL League Post match with Kaelen Ruland

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 1:34 PM


A late goal from former Fremantle midfielder Nick Suban helped South Fremantle steal a last minute three-point win against Peel Thunder at David Grays Arena on Saturday.

Overcoming a 20-point deficit in the third term the Thunder would ultimately fall short finishing 11.5.(71) to the Bulldogs 10.14.(74).

Despite Fremantle fledgling Bailey Banfield kicking the opening goal, the Bulldog’s physical grunt and intensity saw them take an 11-point lead at quarter-time.

Stern words from coach Cameron Shepherd at the break spurred Peel to lift its intensity, with quick ball movement through the midfield allowing the Thunder to feed the ball to the forward line matching South Fremantle’s goals for the quarter.

Peel defender Jordan Boullineau said the midfield stepped up in the second half, led by the experience of team mates Jackson Merrett and Harley Bennell.

“[Merret’s] a really good general, he points us in the right direction and he’s a good voice out there while playing,” he said.

“He always provides that run and carry.”

Peel’s tenacity showed, with back to back goals from Fremantle forward Cameron McCarthy securing them the lead.

Off the back of Shepherd’s encouragement to stay with the workload and push hard at three quarter time, the maintained momentum through the backline and midfield saw Fremantle forward Cameron McCarthy open the final quarter with his third goal.

A tight defence line was crucial for the Thunder to hold its lead.

Boullineau said defender Traye Bennell was invaluable to the backline.

“He helps out the young boys like myself and provides that really good spoiling defence when we need it,” he said.

Having taken a pummelling in the midfield all day, Banfield kicked a victorious goal to increase the Thunder’s lead by 10 points.

Desperate, South Fremantle inched their way back point by point before Suban kicked the winning goal.

With four points in the game and an unsuccessful attempt at goal from outside 50, the Thunder lost its last chance to seize victory.

A spectacular smother from South Fremantle’s Jacob Dragovich shut down a forceful kick from Fremantle midfielder Lachlan Schultz on the siren.

Boullineu said the Thunder would come out stronger when they face Perth, who are ranked third, next weekend at Lathlain Park Saturday, June 22.

Written by:  Kaelen Ruland

Images:        Celeste Nocifora